

Colin's 4th grade basketball team at St. Clement's played against Hardy Prep today. As many of the remaining parochial schools in Chicago do not have gyms big enough to handle all the teams, etc. we played off site. Today our game was at St. Matthais in the Lincoln Square (read old German) area of Chicago. Interestingly enough, Grandma Matilda Blazier (nee Bohn) was baptized there. Unfortunately Colin's team lost 9 -12, but we took comfort in the fact that Hardy Prep was Undefeated and our guys played their hearts out. Colin is in the front right of this photo (white and black shoes) #20.
More on St. Matthias Parish
16 comments:
What an interesting post, Amy.
How neat it is that you/Colin were in the place where Colin's great-grandmother was baptized. Beautiful old church. Tell Colin to be proud that his team did so well -- I saw Hardy Prep play when I was in there a couple weeks ago and they are pretty darn good. Amazing how well 4th graders do. I sure had fun watching the games -- as I did watching Drew play a couple years ago -- that's what Grandma's live for :-)
Amers-
Did it smell like old wood? I love the smell of the old Epworth Church!
That you got to be there is really neat!
Cool, Colin! And Cool, Amy!
Have you gotten in there to see their old church records? Would love to know what they have in the way of birth-baptism and marriage records. Dad and Aunt Helen thought Grandma Tillie and her siblings might have gone to school there, too. It may have been where Tillie's father Otto was baptized, as well, not sure how far back the church goes.
I talked to Red Smith before Christmas last year -- son of Emma Bohn Smith -- and he was telling me that in Otto Bohn's youth (Otto being great-grandfather to those of my generation), he wanted to be a priest. Then he wound up meeting Minerva Linsel and having 10 kids!
It was especially cool. Would love to go check out the records there. I called a few years ago and they will set up an appointment to go through things - Research road/train trip anyone? I can set it up!
Amers
Sure -- when spring comes and we can maybe count on the weather a little more than we can lately?
I've gotten several chapters of Bohn-Linsel family history together; sent them a few weeks ago to that descendant of John Bohn that you found last year, so he could add anything else he and his mother could think of ... have a few revisions to make, and then maybe they'll be "done." As if I ever really finish anything!
Why don't you all figure out a date? I will be more than happy to drive -- the van knows it's way in there anyway LOL. It would be GREAT to check it out -- and Sharry, I didn't remember that Grandpa Otto wanted to be a priest -- glad he didn't or where would we all be?
Sweet - a spring day sounds awesome. Would love to get more info on the Bohn's. Amers
Calendar check says I will be gone April 13-20th but the rest of April looks pretty good. March is clear -- I think !!! I would like to be there.
Would like you to be there, too, Aunt Jackie! Well, let's see if there are certain office days for the church, and take it from there?
Aunt Jackie, I thought I told you those little goodies Red Smith told me, so I'm wondering if that was another e that got lost??
Among the stories he told me ... when he would come out to Elgin, his own family was so poor, he thought the Blaziers were pretty well-to-do -- his little cousin Jackie ate bread with butter and sugar sprinkled on top, and his family couldn't afford butter and sugar!
He was so hungry once when he stayed at Lavoie that he ate a ton of cherries off a tree in or near the yard, and then was embarrassed when he was sick all night.
Oh, and he remembered this time when his cousin Don took his other cousin George's car somewhere and got in a little fender-bender, and George was yelling at him!
S- How old is Red Smith?
Is this a trick question?
Okay, he'll be 79 in April.
Sharry Lynn!
I would never try to trick you- you are waaaaaay too shrewd for that!
Hey! Who you callin' a shrewd?!
You know what?
I bet if we go in March or April Uncle Don would love to be with too. Think the church office can handle us all????? Ah, but we are all such sweet people how could they say "no"? Look what you started, Amy --
Well, hell's bells, why are we talking family reunion in July? Let's just all descend on St. Matthias church with torches in hand and take it over tonight!
Is Uncle Don planning to be here for a while in March-April? Would indeed be fun!
It's a little too cold tonight, Sharry -- but Hell's bells and torches might warm us up.
Don't know if Uncle Don has plans to be here -- but bet he will be here if we give him enough notice. He might just visit Jeff and his house projects or he may come to the church -- but I just bet he would love to go.
Post a Comment