Thanks to all of you and especially to Steph for the wonderful Christmas CD! Wish I could have been with you, but any musical talent I may have once had has drained out of me and been born again, and much improved, in my children! If you do a repeat session, maybe I could be a page-turner! Or, with at least 6 months ahead to practice it, I could manage a simple harp accompaniment. Looks like it was great fun!
P.S. I think blogs are cool to read, but have never interacted on one before. Can someone tell me how to just post a comment to someone else's post? I think that's probably what I should have done here, but don't know how. Thanks
9 comments:
To post a comment, just click on the comment line at the bottom right of the entry -- it has a little pencil next to it. But please, feel free to post new messages anytime -- this is a fun thing (I hope) and we aren't fussy where the comments go -- just so you drop a line as often as you can.
I agree you'all should choose some music so there can be a little familiarity with the music -- it will be great to record (OK with you, Steph?) again -- maybe even some non-Christmas music as I can see people staring at me in June when I have the van windows open and Christmas music playing :-)
What about a Blazier Family Standards CD - With such songs as Shine on Harvest Moon, etc. I see it being wildly popular!
Amers
Oh yes, great, Amy.
Sharry -- you and Lis should be able to come up with more great oldies but goodies. But "Shine On..." has to be included.
Hi there Cindy! So cool to hear from you!! Thanks so much for the "thank-you". It is really good to hear, and I am so glad you enjoyed the CD. OF COURSE we can have you play harp. I remember you playing piano VERY well .. Can you still do that? If we use a MIDI keyboard, we can EASILY fix any errors.
As for Amy's idea, yes it is a good idea to come up with music before we get together. Sharry and I had asked for input prior to the first Blazier Family CD but we really did not give people much time. The idea was only a month or two prior to me coming out to record after all. This resulted in the only input being Sharry and mine. This time we have more time!
As for the standards, that is doable, but *much* more work recording wise, and more preparation will be needed as well. Certainly food for thought. We can see what others come up with.
Perhaps we could get more creative with the Christmas songs .. for example:
CHECK THIS OUT ON YOU TUBE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GabHGlGm14&feature=related
Yeah, a standards album would be a few notches up the scale of sophistication (hey, not that we're incapable of it, it's just the time issue!)... but we can dream, at least. If we dream hard enough, maybe we'll decide we could really tackle it.
Of COURSE "Shine On, Harvest Moon," that's an absolute. I have been told that one of Grampa Webster Blazier's favorite tunes was, "The Waltz You Saved For Me" (a hit for "Waltz King" Wayne King, and there's a photo of Aunt Helen with him when his band played at the Blue Moon in the 70s)... Mom tells me she thinks "Beautiful Isle Of Somewhere" was one of Grandma's faves (alas, it was sung at her funeral, and Aunt Helen could never stand to hear it after that) ... one of my Dad's was, "Fascination," while Mom and Dad's "they're playing our song" song was, "It Had To Be You" ... perhaps Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ra" for Uncle Webby?? Well, I associate that song with him, anyway -- and I associate "Sunrise Sunset" and "Everything Is Beautiful" (great kid-chorus opportunity there!) with Aunt Shirley (Lisa and Cindy are bound to know more about that!) ... I have no idea what I ever heard to implant the thought in my head, but I associate the Mills Brothers with Uncle Don! Oh -- Mom says it might be "Paper Doll"! But he and Aunt Jackie can just put in any requests they might have ... I already know Uncle Joe's request: "Can you play so-lo and far away?"
Mom just cracked me up, remembering a song Aunt Helen used to sing to little Amy: "My momma told me, if I be goodie, that she would buy me a rubber dolly ... Now don't you tell her, I got a fell-er, or she won't buy me a rubber dolly!" So maybe there's a Doll medley to be found ... Paper, Rubber!
My mamma told me, that she would buy me
A Rubber Dolly if I'd be good
Now don't you tell her
I've got to feller
Or she won't buy me no Rubber Dolly
This is how I remember it ---
And in one of my "baby" photos I'm holding a "rubber dolly".
I remember you BOTH singing this, Aunt Helen and you. Love the tune.
I found about 9 versions of this song .. I found a partial of the lyrics I remember you two sisters singing:
My mother told me if I was goody
That she would buy me a rubber dolly
My auntie told her, I kissed a soldier
Now she wont buy me, a rubber dolly
Wow, and I was thinking maybe it was a Blazier or Bohn family original song! Sounds like something maybe Grandma and her sisters would have sung in Shirley Temple-ish garb on the Chicago vaudeville stages where they performed. But what the heck kind of world was it back then, if little girls were playing with dolls and kissing soldiers at the same time? That's a little disturbing.
I remember singing it with mom and Aunt Helen few times, when we'd work up a semblance of three-part harmony. In the same vein, "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles."
Post a Comment