Saturday, February 2, 2008

13 years ago this weekend


Can't believe I've been back in Chicago 13 years this weekend already. What a blip on the radar were my days, in Champaign, Milwaukee, Seattle, and San Francisco - These photos were from my welcome back party at "Grandma", "Grandpa", and Sharry's house (roughly Jan. 31st , 1995). In the first picture I was asked to stand under the sign, and then Grandpa asked me to turn around - he followed with "I'm glad to see your back!" I'm glad I came back too! ;-) - Amy

3 comments:

Sharry said...

Yep. Sounds like my dad!

I am wearing the greatest sweatshirt I ever had in that picture. I'm getting all choked up just thinking about it! I think it's still up in the attic, I couldn't part with it when it started getting little wear-through holes. It was from an Indian Survival school in Minneapolis, where a then-friend of mine was a teacher -- Heart of the Earth. Among the many places I wore it was to an R.E.M. concert Amy and I went to a few months after this picture was taken. And then another R.E.M. concert in '99, which I went to with Stephanie, which I decided would be the last rock concert of my life. I just felt too old to stand for two solid hours screaming, "Woooooooooooooo!!!" Of course, now I'll be going to see Davy Jones with Lisa ... but I have a feeling that after an initial ovation, it'll be a sit-down affair. At least we have aisle seats so we can keep our walkers out there.

--- said...

Tell Davey HI for me. Loved going to the Monkees reunion tour with you as well!

Amers

Sharry said...

Confession -- it was a great Monkees concert (even if no Nesmith), and I remember them, but I have better memories of their opening act that night: The one, the only Weird Al Yankovic. Funniest thing I ever saw. Who could forget the giant potatoes mocking the robotic models from the music video in, "Addicted To Spuds"?