
On a sadder note, Meg and Nick's beloved black lab, Black Wing, has regally passed from this world to heaven. Black Wing was diagnosed with cancer several years ago, and Meg and Nick made the choice to have him treated in Madison, WI since that time. Though I don't know how long it has been since his treatments began, he progressed far beyond the vet's imagination- their miracle dog. Because of their choice to do this, they have been able to enjoy his majestic company for years beyond the original diagnosis. Yesterday, BW stopped eating and could not stand, telling Meg and Nick that it was time. He will be sadly missed by Meg, Nick, his beloved sidekick Sassy and all who knew this gentle giant.
I am almost positive that at some time I was a dog. God gave me so much compassion for dogs, I am pretty positive that I must have been one once or He messed up on genes really early in our family tree or something like that. Sometimes I get really mad at Him because of it. Part of being mad is that I wish I had as much compassion for people! Anyway, every time I left Meg and Nick's house, I was never sure if I would see Black Wing again, but every time he was there. I am so glad I got to hug and pet and scratch his butt just a few weeks ago.
Can't see the keyboard, so I guess it's time to stop. Go hug your pets. If you don't have one, find someone else's to hug!
9 comments:
I wept along with you -- didn't "know" Black Wing -- but knew how you all loved him -- and because he was a dog I loved him too -- that old doggy Blazier gene again.
And I did go give Munchkin and Pollyanna extra hugs -- they seemed to understand --
So very sorry to hear this. Until a little over a year ago, I'd never personally known the unique and bottomless sorrow that is Losing A Pooch. I will indeed give Stevie an extra hug today. Black Wing was a lucky doggie, though, to have such devoted human companions, who gave him the longest and best life possible.
I would love, by the way, to compile a list of all our beloved family pets through the years. I can sure think of a lot of great family dogs -- "Nig," Snooks, Whitefellow, Silver, Snooks II/Nutter Putter, Fluffy?, Dottie, Babe, Hollie, Beau, Cinders, Mitzi, Pepper, Rocky, Butter, Kai, Sheila, Halley, Barney, Kris, Mike, Black Wing, Sassy, Stevie, Deetsie ... who am I forgetting? And that's just dogs (though dogs rule, of course)!
The Web Blazier, Jr.'s during Baby Boomer era included: Mitzi, one terrier in between here who had distemper, Schnappsie, Beau, Oliver, Cinders (God only knows how many preceded that!). Cindy and Bob had Gus, Harold, Toby and Ben. Meg and Nick had Lobo, Max, Black Wing and Sassy. There was another Shepard in there I think I missed- a female maybe? Ours have been Kris, Barney and Mike.
Ah yes, there was Freckles (a golden cocker spaniel), and Bambi who was a 1/2 sister to Uncle Don's Dottie. Our dear Bailey and now our angels Munchkin and Pollyanna. I'm sure there were one two more in there somewhere -- ah yes, just remembered "Kitty" (a terrier)-- when Steph was a baby.
Duh !!!
Silver and Whitefellow -- the toy spitz(?) we had in the mid to late 1930's. If memory serves me right, they were named after the Lone Ranger's horse (silver) and his sidekick Tonto's horse (Whitefellow).
Wow, don't remember Schnappsie or Oliver (just Aunt Jackie's Oliver the cat)! But I do remember Mitzi, Beau, and Cinders.
Never made that Lone Ranger connection with Silver and Whitefellow before, but of course, that makes sense! I just assumed they were named for their colors.
Now, if we just had Aunt Helen and my dad to argue over where Nig is buried ...
By the way, Aunt Jackie -- Dad always referred to Whitefellow and Silver as toy spitz, too. The original Snooks was maybe a a pit bull? Definitly terrier, anyway. Wish I could figure out what breed Nig was, though!
In the picture you gave me of dad, Nig looks like he's at least part Newfoundland and maybe black lab?
Sorry to hear about Blackwing. It is so hard to loose a four legged family member. We have had them, lost them, and for the life of me I can figure out why we live a longer time than our pets. Just does not seem right. Maybe you were a dog in your last life, Lisa. But then, the whole Blazier line must have been, as we all have this gigantic soft spot for pets, particularly dogs.
Post a Comment