Friday, April 25, 2008

Boat Ride on Lake Geneva


This Photo is of Jim, Bob, Uncle George, and Lisa taking a boat ride on lake Geneva. Later that day, Jim, Bob, and Uncle George took the same boat out to look for Grandpa Blazier's old fishing rod that Jim had dropped in the lake. Uncle George stood on the bow of the boat and told Jim and I not to stand up or rock the boat!! There upon Uncle George spotted the pole and stated as such. Then Jim stood up and rocked the boat. Uncle George was about to fall in when he decided it best to dive in and go to the bottom and retrieve the pole. He came up with the pole and his cigarette still in his mouth!! No, it was not lit. The dive was a thing of beauty! On a 1 t0 10 scale it was an 11. Only Uncle George could have thought fast enough to pull this task off with such grace. Boy, do I miss him. Bob

6 comments:

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

Yep, I remember this story -- what great memories we all are fortunate enough to have.

Sharry said...

Thanks, Bob -- that's probably my favorite story ever of my dad, because it's just so "him." The way I always heard it, when he retrieved the pole, there was even a fish on the hook end!

Somewhere around the late 60s, there were a couple times when Mom and Dad and Aunt Helen and I went up to Lake Geneva -- it was rather in a slump then, between stages of being chic (I think it's an "in" place again by now -- if you can afford it!). There wasn't much doing, except some tourist boat rides we went on, and I remember Mom and Aunt Helen got all giggly and had their palms read or horoscopes done or something like that, by a "fortuneteller." He told my mother he could see she had married a man who would have two yachts -- she said, "Well, there ARE two canoes hanging in the garage, that must be what you're seeing!"

Stephanie said...

I love this photo Bob, thank-you for posting it. The story was great as well. I too miss Uncle George for many reasons. Your story was great too Sharry! Thanks! I love all these stories quite a bit. ~Stephanie

Bob said...

Yup! Sharry is correct...there was a big old bullhead on the line which Uncle George rightfully claimed.

Sharry said...

Bob, I thought it was a bullhead, and I know I have it written down somewhere, but thanks for confirming.

Do you happen to recall the fishing pole itself? I have one here that I'm pretty sure was originally Grampa's, but I don't know if it would be "the one."

Bob said...

The pole was an old "spinning" rod that my Dad had told Jim not to loose because it belonged to Grandpa. It was equipped with bright yellow fishing line. The yellow line made it possible for Uncle George to spot the pole in about 12 Ft. of water.