Bob, I do believe it is Jim's back yead -- taken when Aunt Shirley died. Which would have made it -- what? 72? thank goodness for those of you with memories for dates -- I can't blame it on my old age (although it would be a legitimate excuse) I never have been good at remembering dates -- I just know Amy was really little and Stephanie was here from California for a visit. Thanks for posting the photo.
Mom died June 25pm/26am, 1975. Can't remember what the day was, but I am pretty sure her funeral was on a Friday. Dad got into town that afternoon, I think. That would make this picture June 27/28, 1975.
OK, Lis -- I knew Amy wasn't in school yet because we were still living in Rockford -- at that time, Amy would have been 4 years old -- glad we have that right.
I have either the exact same photo or one apparently taken by someone right next to another photographer at the same moment, and back then, mom dated it on back, "September 6, 1976." So it was the year after Aunt Shirley died, but as I recall it, Uncle Webby did make at least a couple trips up in the mid-to-late 70s. But yes, it's definitely Jim's back yard on Virginia, and I think Jim always had everyone over for a Labor Day picnic in that era, so the date would probably correspond to that.
Lisa, it also makes sense that you aren't quite certain of your mom's death date, because there was some screw-up on it, where Daylight Savings Time v. Standard Time was concerned. Which I remember because very strangely, the exact same confusion happened with Grandma Blazier's death on June 25 or 26, 1948 -- their original death certificates were both wrong and had to be redone, or something like that. Very bizarre.
What I recall of Aunt Shirley's funeral is that we all wound up at Bowlway, because Jim was in a tournament!
5 comments:
Bob, I do believe it is Jim's back yead -- taken when Aunt Shirley died. Which would have made it -- what? 72? thank goodness for those of you with memories for dates -- I can't blame it on my old age (although it would be a legitimate excuse) I never have been good at remembering dates -- I just know Amy was really little and Stephanie was here from California for a visit. Thanks for posting the photo.
probably 78 after mom cut her long hair. Nice photo Bob, thanks
Mom died June 25pm/26am, 1975. Can't remember what the day was, but I am pretty sure her funeral was on a Friday. Dad got into town that afternoon, I think. That would make this picture June 27/28, 1975.
OK, Lis -- I knew Amy wasn't in school yet because we were still living in Rockford -- at that time, Amy would have been 4 years old -- glad we have that right.
Hugz,
AJ
I have either the exact same photo or one apparently taken by someone right next to another photographer at the same moment, and back then, mom dated it on back, "September 6, 1976." So it was the year after Aunt Shirley died, but as I recall it, Uncle Webby did make at least a couple trips up in the mid-to-late 70s. But yes, it's definitely Jim's back yard on Virginia, and I think Jim always had everyone over for a Labor Day picnic in that era, so the date would probably correspond to that.
Lisa, it also makes sense that you aren't quite certain of your mom's death date, because there was some screw-up on it, where Daylight Savings Time v. Standard Time was concerned. Which I remember because very strangely, the exact same confusion happened with Grandma Blazier's death on June 25 or 26, 1948 -- their original death certificates were both wrong and had to be redone, or something like that. Very bizarre.
What I recall of Aunt Shirley's funeral is that we all wound up at Bowlway, because Jim was in a tournament!
Post a Comment