
This photo I spent a LOT of time cleaning up. I think it is cool as you can see the old spot light used for lighting, mom is looking all sweet (aw) and yet everyone else looks so very serious. I guess it was serious times. The suspicious absence of Uncle George makes me think he is already at war and it looks like Uncle Don is about to go. Sharry, I defer to you! What is the story?
4 comments:
Well, I tried to find the Courier article, but I don't know which file I put it in ... it was March 1944; there was a nice little snippet about Grandma having an Open House that upcoming Sunday (the 26th) in honor of Uncle Webby and Uncle Harry, both of whom were about to leave for the Army. As a nice surprise, though, Uncle Don had arrived home that same week on leave from the Marines, so he was able to be there for the Open House, too. My dad was at that moment in one of the worst of the many horrible places he saw the war -- the battle of Nhpum Ga in Burma, which was later referred to as Maggot Hill, so you can guess how much fun that was. Not that the family knew that -- they didn't even know he was in Burma yet, as Dad hadn't been allowed to write home since the holidays. So I think if nobody looks incredibly happy, it's maybe because one of their own was "somewhere" in the world in the war, Uncle Don could only stay for a short visit before he'd be sent to who-knew-where, and now two more were about to be whisked away. We forget, or at least don't think enough in this volunteer military era, about how nearly all families were wrenched apart in WWII, never knowing, when pictures like this one were taken, whether they'd ever all be together again. So to see the other side, note the joy on everyone's faces in the June 1, 1946 picture to the right and down -- everyone finally reunited, with Uncle Don the last to get back home!
Hell-oooo? I am NOT "anonymous," how insulting! Don't know why that happened, but obviously, this is Sharry. Ha-rumph.
Yep, you're observant, Bob. I hadn't noticed the flag -- but since it was just before Web and Harry went in to service there would have only been two stars -- for George and Don.
Keep posting everyone --
Hugz,
Jackie
Yep, Bob -- and I have one picture with three stars in the window, but I am told there was a four-star flag for a while, too, but I've never seen a picture of that. Anybody got one?
Post a Comment