Saturday, February 23, 2008

H.B., G.O.B.!

Couldn't let this day go by without a mention of what would have been my Dad's birthday! George Otto Blazier was born on this date in 1920, in a house on Grace Street in Elgin -- the last one on the right as the street becomes an on-ramp to the Route 20 bypass. Just glad it still stands!

On his last birthday, ten years ago, I took a teeny-tiny bottle of whiskey into the nursing home so he could have a little "birthday drink," which he got a big kick out of. So I saved that bottle, and every year on February 23rd, I drink a toast to him from it (yes, it's been refilled a couple times!). So -- facing Hampshire -- Here's to ya, Dad! Eighty-eight .. you'd probably say, "What a revoltin' development this is!"

P.S. Little family trivia note ... today would have also been Aunt Stella's 118th birthday -- dad was born on her 30th birthday, and she spent it being one of three family midwives to Grandma Tillie. The other two were Lenore Blazier Scott and Grace Bohn Choitz.

3 comments:

--- said...

WIth much love - A toast from Chicago as well!
Amers

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

A birthday toast -- and thanks for being a great big brother - and as Bob Hope sang, "Thanks For the Memories"

Stephanie said...

WOW what great stories from a great story teller! Thanks Sherry, I enjoyed reading this very much. Happy Birthday Uncle George! We dedicating a piece to him at the sci fi convention on the 29th, if we manage to get a recording of it (which I think we will) I will post it on my web site so you can see the dedication.