Here's another blast from the past --- This photo will be 51 years old in July ---if you look closely at the two photos you will see they exchanged ice cream cones, popsicles ---
The photo part two of this one of Lisa and I is the funny one .. I am going to see if I can find it. Heh. Just remember before I post it that I love you Lisa!! ;-)
Is that the one and only Mitzy? I recognize that eye on the right. I don't recall John and I ever exchanging spit, but we bled on each other a few times in wrestling.
I THINK that is Aunt Helen, Jim and Bob's Skippy. I'm sure someone can tell us for positive. The picture was taken at Aunt Helen's apartment. (One of her MANY apartments LOL)
Hey Guys, For the record, The four legged friend to the right of Meg in the top photo is "Babe". The TV in the back was Walter's and my guess is the photo was taken in the apartment above Jackson's Grocery on Chicago and Liberty. Babe loved everyone, but she did have her favorites including Jackie and Uncle Don (when he had his work shoes off).
Yes, of course Babe -- I knew the dog -- screwed up the name. And it is the apartment oh Chicago & Liberty. Remember it well. And Babe was one of our favorites too ---- remember the Renault city/country horn -- Babe sure knew it. :-)
Bob, I just noticed the kiddie car in your thumbnail photo.
Dad told me how he once bought two cars on the same day, when he was 17, which would mean 1937: a real one for himself, and a kiddie car for Aunt Jackie, but then it eventually got "handed down" to you (Aunt Jackie drove it sparingly and carefully, so it was still near-mint), and you really put the mileage and wear on it! Would this be the car??
And the reason Dad loved to tell that story was, he paid more for the kiddie car than for the real one! The car he bought for himself that day was a 1928 Whippet, which he paid $7.50 for. It was his fifth car (he bought his first one at age eleven, for a quarter!), and it got him around for a couple years before he bought a 1929 Chevy, for the ungodly sum of $25.
My youngest nephew, Sean (14 now) loves those auto stories -- little kids, buying and driving cars all over town, sure can't do that these days!
Sharry, You are correct. The Kiddie Car was originally purchaced by your Dad for his sister, Jackie. I'm glad you were able to recall the year that Uncle George purchased the "car". So, it turns out that my first "car" was a used 1937 Model. I actually wore the car out all by myself. It was one of my favorite toys. I aquired this fine pedal car (not KIDDIE CAR) one of two ways... either Jackie gave it to me or she parked it in the wrong place... like next door. At any rate, thanks Jackie. I had a ball driving it. P.S. Santa never left me a JEEP on the back porch. Bob
10 comments:
I am ever so sure that was not the first or last time we exchanged spit!
The photo part two of this one of Lisa and I is the funny one .. I am going to see if I can find it. Heh. Just remember before I post it that I love you Lisa!! ;-)
Is that the one and only Mitzy? I recognize that eye on the right. I don't recall John and I ever exchanging spit, but we bled on each other a few times in wrestling.
I THINK that is Aunt Helen, Jim and Bob's Skippy. I'm sure someone can tell us for positive. The picture was taken at Aunt Helen's apartment. (One of her MANY apartments LOL)
Nope, not Mitz. Skippy? Looks like Babe as a puppy. Hey, Bob- help us out here.
AJ, I thought it looked like the living room on Porter St.
Hey Guys, For the record, The four legged friend to the right of Meg in the top photo is "Babe". The TV in the back was Walter's and my guess is the photo was taken in the apartment above Jackson's Grocery on Chicago and Liberty. Babe loved everyone, but she did have her favorites including Jackie and Uncle Don (when he had his work shoes off).
Yes, of course Babe -- I knew the dog -- screwed up the name. And it is the apartment oh Chicago & Liberty. Remember it well. And Babe was one of our favorites too ---- remember the Renault city/country horn -- Babe sure knew it. :-)
Bob, it surprises me not that you would recognize the TV!
Bob, I just noticed the kiddie car in your thumbnail photo.
Dad told me how he once bought two cars on the same day, when he was 17, which would mean 1937: a real one for himself, and a kiddie car for Aunt Jackie, but then it eventually got "handed down" to you (Aunt Jackie drove it sparingly and carefully, so it was still near-mint), and you really put the mileage and wear on it! Would this be the car??
And the reason Dad loved to tell that story was, he paid more for the kiddie car than for the real one! The car he bought for himself that day was a 1928 Whippet, which he paid $7.50 for. It was his fifth car (he bought his first one at age eleven, for a quarter!), and it got him around for a couple years before he bought a 1929 Chevy, for the ungodly sum of $25.
My youngest nephew, Sean (14 now) loves those auto stories -- little kids, buying and driving cars all over town, sure can't do that these days!
Sharry, You are correct. The Kiddie Car was originally purchaced by your Dad for his sister, Jackie. I'm glad you were able to recall the year that Uncle George purchased the "car". So, it turns out that my first "car" was a used 1937 Model. I actually wore the car out all by myself. It was one of my favorite toys. I aquired this fine pedal car (not KIDDIE CAR) one of two ways... either Jackie gave it to me or she parked it in the wrong place... like next door. At any rate, thanks Jackie. I had a ball driving it. P.S. Santa never left me a JEEP on the back porch. Bob
Post a Comment