Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Aunt Helen and Sharry 1972 June


I was looking for another older family photo scan when I ran across this great photo. This is one of my personal favorites. Hope you all enjoy seeing it as much as I do. Aunt Helen, Aunt Marilyn and Sharry had come to California to visit mom, Amy and me. Thanks for the visit Auntie and Sharry. You are always welcome out here you know! It HAS been a long time, I think it is your turn ☺.

4 comments:

--- said...

The photo is sooo Groovy! I love it - and the visit too! Loved those photos as well!

Amers

Sharry said...

Oh, no you dinnut!

Aunt Helen had just eaten a whole spoonful of a condiment she thought to be ... well, I don't know what she thought it was, but it turned out to be horseradish, so she was burning up when this picture was snapped.

Well, if you thought you could post this without a Big Story, you were wrong, weren't you! I could tell about 20 about this night alone, but I'll just bore you with one, because it involves a famous person:

This was a dinner in the Hanalei Hotel in San Diego, but the funny thing was, we'd first gone to the wrong hotel, the Shanghai. When we (Aunt Jackie, Amy, Aunt Helen, my mom and I) got to the Shanghai and couldn't find Stephanie or anyone else we expected to meet, Aunt Jackie went to find a pay phone to figure out where the heck we were really supposed to be (no cell phones in '72, kids!), while the rest of us waited in a stairwell. A man came out of the hotel bar and walked past us and nodded and said hello ... I didn't really pay much attention, but as soon as he got past us, Aunt Helen and my mom were gushing -- "Oooooh, Hogan! It was Hogan! Wooooooo!" It was, indeed, Bob Crane, the actor who played the title role in the TV show "Hogan's Heroes." In those days, his public image was squeaky clean, Mr. Republican Family Man. So you just know the story doesn't end there!

Some years later, Bob Crane was brutally murdered in an Arizona motel room while he was in a theater touring company, and the unsavory details of his life came tumbling out to the public, since it was suspected his lifestyle had led to his murder. It turned out he had a long history of very sordid activity in hotel/motel rooms, and his most notorious pick-up haunt was, of course, the Shanghai in San Diego! I used to tease Aunt Helen, "Well, you really missed your chance that night!"

So, the night this photo was taken, we'd just had a brief little encounter with a piece of a notorious Hollywood Babylon-esque legend -- and it never would have happened, had we not gone to the wrong hotel!

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

When we left the Shanghai Aunt Helen, in her Helen only way, decided I was driving the wrong way on a one way street [WHICH I WASN'T] and almost created an accident. She was a great back seat driver -- Ha Ha!!!

Stephanie said...

I loved the story Sherry! Thanks so much for telling it. Sometime we will have to talk about the other stories, I want to hear them all. Love you cous! Still waiting for you guys to come back out!