
The family and I have gotten thru chapter 7 .. I am not as fast as Lisa. What an incredible work you have made Sharry!! Gee whiz, how did you get all this information? How many years have you been working on this? When did you first get interested in the history of our family?
I am reading slow but enjoying every moment of your book. I am still not up to the place where YOU say it gets interesting (chapter 13, right?). I think it is interesting from word one. Now I want to go on that Chicago tour. I will also be looking up some addresses next time the band and I go up to Los Angeles. If I can find the addresses, will post pictures.
I am going to write my friend Richard today and let him know about our orange grove family history. His family had a big place in Orange County California. That is about 1.5 hours north of San Diego. He was the last generation to live on the farm as he was literally forced out by all the yuppies who moved in around the farm in their perfect little manicured pre fab housing.
Yuppies found farm equipment in the yard distasteful and the orange trees unsightly. They all banned together to force their community rules on the family farm which had been there many generations. He sold the farm just before the market fell. Heh. He made a lot of money off those yuppies! He now lives in a mansion with his wife Judy .. a fellow beader of mom's ... in a place above Hollywood hills called Monrovia.
6 comments:
I too am looking forward to the "Chicago Tour" -- what a great way to spend a day -- walking in the steps our our ancestors.
We are up to hosting the Chicago tour - let me know who's in and when would be a good time for the tour!
Amers
"what a great way to spend a day -- walking in the steps our our ancestors."
Well ... maybe you didn't get to the part yet where I mention that the site of the Bohn's saloons/homes is now Cabrini-Green? So maybe not so much "walking," as "riding in an armored vehicle"???
Surprisingly, a good % of Cabrini-Green is now gone. You know we had to make room for all the Multi-Million $ homes. There aren't enough of them in Lincoln Park and Old Town!
Since the corner where the Bohns lived no longer exists as such (Gault and Hobbie), I'm not sure whether what's there now would be "Good" Cabrini-Green or "Bad" Cabrini Green (presuming multi-million dollar homes gentrification is a "Good" thing).
I'm trying to think of what's still there to see versus what's not ... Linsel Building, still there. Rosehill Cemetery, still there! You can pretty much count on that one to be around ... Not sure on Otto Bohn residences such as Kilpatrick and Foster (20+ years ago we rode past the Foster Av. house, and it seemed to likely be the same, albeit renovated). But the Bohn saloons/homes, and almost all (if not all) of the old vaudeville theaters, alas, long gone.
Post a Comment